Radial Engineering has announced that its new Catapult four-channel audio snake is now shipping.
The Catapult lets users send analogue and AES digital audio signals over standard Cat 5 shielded twisted-pair cable. This enables system contractors to utilise pre-wired networks to connect one room to another and allows stage techs to take advantage of the relatively low cost of this abundantly available cable for return snakes, or for transporting channels of balanced audio across a large stage.
Available in six configurations, Catapult offers a choice of three input modules and three output modules. Each input module features four XLR inputs along with two Neutrik Ethercon outputs and four additional XLR outputs. Output modules provide Ethercon input, throughput and two sets of XLR outputs. These may be ordered without transformers for sub snakes or to transmit AES audio signals; with mic isolation transformers for signal splitting between FOH, monitors or the recording system; or with line level isolation transformers to eliminate system noise. A ground lift switch is available at each end for the Ethernet cable connection to help eliminate hum and buzz caused by ground loops.
Descriptions of the six models can be found below:
- TX4 – Transmit module with four XLR-F inputs and four XLR-M outputs
- TX4M – Transmit module with four XLR-F inputs and four mic level (-40~0dB) isolated XLR-M outputs
- TX4L – Transmit module with four XLR-F inputs and four line level (-20~+15dB) isolated XLR-M outputs
- RX4 – Receive module with two sets of four XLR-M outputs
- RX4M – Receive module with four mic-level (-40~0dB) isolated XLR-M outputs and one set of pass-through XLR-Ms
- RX4L – Receive module with four line-level (-20~+15dB) isolated XLR-M outputs and one set of pass-through XLR-Ms
As with all Radial products, the Catapult design begins with a heavy steel construction made to handle the physical demands of live touring along with a long-lasting heavy duty powder coat finish. A protective bar around the connectors is provided as well, which also acts as a handle for carrying.
US MAP prices for the Catapult are $139.99 USD for the TX4 and RX4 and $229.99 for the TX4M, TX4L, RX4M and RX4L.