Electro-Voice used this year's Prolight + Sound to show off the EKX range, the latest addition to the brand's portable loudspeaker family.
EKX is designed to combine 'legendary' EV sound quality and reliability with the latest technology – all in a lightweight, compact package suitable for musicians, DJs, and live/club/installed sound applications, according to the company.
The series consists of eight models (four powered and four passive), including 12” and 15” two-way models and 15” and 18” subwoofers. EKX is positioned above the ZLX and ELX, but below ETX, in the manufacturer's speaker line-up.
Promising high performance and versatility, EKX offers EV-engineered speaker and amplifier components for 'superior' sound quality and reliability, and onboard signal processing with user-friendly single-knob control and application presets for easy set-up. The units incorporate robust wood enclosures, 'premium-quality' hardware and a durable EVCoat finish.
The range will begin shipping in Spring 2015.
- QuickSmartDSP provides 'best-in-class' processing, Electro-Voice’s signature single-knob user interface, and menu navigation via LCD. There are several presets for easy setup (Music, Live, Club), as well as sub/top system-match crossovers, three-band EQ, five user-programmable presets (Store and Recall settings), visual monitoring of limiter status, input level control and meters, and master volume control to ensure optimal gain structure.
- An EV-exclusive Cardioid Control Technology feature for subwoofers on the powered models allows the output to be steered towards the audience with up to 35 dB reduction on stage when multiple subs are deployed.
- Powered models also feature a Speech preset, input level control, high-efficiency Class-D power amplifiers (up to 1500 W) that deliver up to 134 dB peak SPL via high-sensitivity transducers and intelligent thermal management with a variable-speed fan for coping with demanding environmental conditions.
- EV-patented Signal Synchronized Transducers (SST) waveguide design on the full-range models provides 'precise and consistent' coverage.
- Lightweight, compact 15mm wood enclosures with internal bracing, eight M10 threaded mounting points (full-range models), aluminum pole-mounts, and all-metal handles. Subs feature large slot ports for low distortion and 'excellent' bass extension, and are equipped with a metal grille reinforcement bar.